Information Box Group
James Stewart Math & Stats Application Requirements 2024
The James Stewart fund provides funding for students in Mathematics and Statistics to participate in opportunities that might not otherwise be available
to them. These can include, but are not limited to, summer research with faculty at McMaster or elsewhere, travel to conferences, outreach activities.
Undergraduate students at McMaster may wish to have a research opportunity that is not covered by the NSERC USRA awards; for example, to work for just one or two months, or to work with a faculty member at another university. Students at another university may apply for funding to work with a McMaster faculty member. Undergraduate or graduate students may apply for support to travel to a relevant conference.
Awards are available to students in any Mathematics and Statistics program at McMaster, and to students in any program to work with a faculty member in
the Mathematics and Statistics department at McMaster.
Applications for Small Awards (up to $500) will be accepted at any time and funded on a rolling basis. For Large Awards (up to $5000) there will be a call
for proposals in the winter term. It is expected, although exceptions are possible, that funding will be used in the subsequent summer. Applications demonstrating that matching funds are being provided will be viewed more favorably than those without. Applications by undergraduates and by graduate students will be assessed separately.
Applications are now invited for Large Awards for summer 2024.
An application package consists of:
– a description of the proposed project (up to one page), with a timeframe;
– a budget, specifying how much funding is requested and how it will be spent (e.g. stipend, travel, etc);
– a cv;
– an (informal) transcript;
– a letter of support from a faculty member at McMaster (potential supervisors and projects can be viewed here). If research is to be conducted at another university, there should be a letter of invitation from that university. If a student is registered at another university, there should be a letter of recommendation from that university.
Students are encouraged to consult with the undergraduate advisor, Adam Van Tuyl or the graduate advisor, Ben Bolker for advice on the budget and the feasibility of their project. All applications should be sent to: email@example.com with subject line James Stewart Award. Applications are due March 15, 2024
NSERC USRA Math & Stats Application Requirements 2024
NSERC Undergraduate Student Research Awards
Department of Mathematics and Statistics
These prestigious awards enable undergraduate students to spend the summer (16 consecutive weeks) working with a research group. If you are interested in spending “Summer 2024″ working with a McMaster University researcher, and you have at least a 9.0 cumulative average (or above) we invite you to apply through the Department of Mathematics and Statistics. A list of potential projects and supervisors are available on the USRA and Research Projects (PDF) for the summer. Students must contact a prospective supervisor before submitting an application.
The awards have a total stipend of $9,680* for the 16 weeks: NSERC award of $6000* + University contribution $3680*.
(*Approximate value, final value will be announced soon).
Applications are invited from all qualified students in level 2 and above.
- Visit the NSERC website and determine if you are eligible for the award, read the instructions.
- Contact a prospective supervisor
- Obtain a transcript (to include December 2023 results) we will accept unofficial transcripts at the application stage
- Login to NSERC website and fill in Form 202 Part 1 on-line (must be filled in on-line there will be no exceptions) upload your transcript.
- Give your NSERC reference number to your potential supervisor so that they can fill out Form 202 Part 2 on-line.
- Self-identification Declaration Form
- Completed applications (Part 1, Part 2, transcript and self-identification declaration form) should be sent as a pdf file to Rabia Awan, firstname.lastname@example.org by 4pm on Friday February 16th, 2024