All applications received by February 1 are automatically considered for financial support and scholarships. Financial support is normally given to students in good academic standing in the following programs:
- 8 months for M.Sc. Statistics coursework students
- 16 months for M.Sc. Statistics thesis students
- 10 months for M.Sc. Math project students
- 20 months for M.Sc. Math thesis students
- Four years for Ph.D. Math students
We do not provide financial support for M-Phimac students.
In the 2023-24 academic year graduate students in Mathematics and Statistics (except for M-Phimac students) will be funded through a combination of departmental scholarships, teaching assistantships and research scholarships and are provided the following minimum annual income (prorated for shorter periods):
- $25520 for Math MSc project students
- $27520 for Stats MSc thesis students
- $27520 for Math MSc thesis students
- $29020 for Math PhD students
Tuition and fees will be deducted from these amounts. An additional tuition bursary is given to international M.Sc. students to help with the higher tuition costs.
In addition, there are a number of excellent scholarship opportunities for new and continuing students. These scholarships replace our departmental scholarships, but they can be combined with teaching assistantships and research scholarships.
For instance, holders of an Ontario Graduate Scholarship (for which every applicant to McMaster is automatically considered) will typically be provided an annual income of:
- $32000 for MSc students in year 1 and the regular amount in year 2,
- $33000 for PhD students for one year, and the regular amount for the other years.
Holders of an NSERC graduate scholarship (CGS-M or PGS-D) will typically be provided an annual income of:
- $34000 for MSc students in year 1 and an OGS in year 2,
- $35000 for PhD students for three years, and the regular amount for the other year.
Note that the application deadline for CGS-M is December 1. Please indicate McMaster as one of your choices on your CGS-M application, and note that you also need to submit a regular application to our graduate program in order to be considered for the CGS-M here.