Co-operators Problem Solving Workshop
The First McMaster & Co-operators Problem Solving Workshop edition is jointly organized by the Department of Mathematics & Statistics at McMaster University (https://www.math.mcmaster.ca/) and the Co-operators General Insurance Company (https://www.cooperators.ca/), and will take place on Saturday, March 14th, 2020 at McMaster University. The workshop will gather representatives from industry, academic mathematicians, undergraduate and graduate students.
The main goal of this workshop is to provide the students with an experiential learning opportunity through a concrete real-world problem submitted by the insurance company. The participants will work in study groups (2 to 4 students) and will have the opportunity to learn and develop their interpersonal and technical skills (including data science, statistics, optimization, mathematical finance, programming, communication, etc.). This would also enable the industrial partner to connect with McMaster students. This workshop is also aimed to be an “incubator” of collaborations and hope that the work initiated during the workshop will lead to further collaborations between the students and the industrial partner.
Moreover, the Co-operators is actively looking for new talents to join their forces for the Actuarial and Business Intelligence teams.
The problem description and the registration details can be found on the Workshop website (http://coopworkshop.ca/). Here are the important dates and deadlines:
- Feb. 7th, 2020: Registration opens
- Feb. 12th, 2020: Start of the qualifications round (data shared)
- Feb. 26th, 2020: Deadline for uploading the qualifications analysis
- March 2nd, 2020: Announcement of the groups participating to the Workshop
- March 12th, 2020: Deadline for uploading the preliminary results
- March 14th, 2020 (Pi-day): A full day workshop on campus
- April 1st, 2020: Announcement of the winners and the prizes
Here are some of the prizes offered to the participants:
- $ 400 x (?) for the winning group
- Invitation to present the results to the Co-operators managerial team
- Full day job shadowing opportunities at the Co-operators office
- Door prizes
All the meals will be provided during the Workshop and the participants will be invited at the end of the day to a networking activity with food and drinks.
For further questions, please email us at: firstname.lastname@example.org