Mathematics & Statistics is a large department with 42 regular faculty, 18 postdoctoral fellows and over 100 graduate students. We have research strengths in Algebra & Number Theory, Analysis, Applied Mathematics, Financial Mathematics, Geometry & Topology, Mathematical Biology, Mathematical Logic, and Probability & Statistics. The weekly Colloquium attracts some of the world's most prominent mathematicians.
Undergraduate students can earn a B.Sc. in any one of our many honours programs, including the core program, the Math specialization, the Stats specialization, and the new program in Actuarial & Financial Mathematics. Students can also choose Cooperative versions of any of these programs by completing two 8-month work terms, and these provide students opportunities for experiential learning through on-the-job training. We also offer many combined honours degrees for students with broad interests who want to combine mathematics with another subject, such as Biology, Computer Science, Economics, English, French, History, Philosophy, and Physics.
Our department emphasizes a student-centered approach to teaching and the interdisciplinary aspects of our discipline. Our program is known for its
- Broad-based, interdisciplinary courses
- Excellent instruction offered by award-winning teachers and leading researchers
- Program flexibility (electives, minors in math and stats, many joint programs)
- Active undergraduate societies in Mathematics & Statistics and Actuarial Mathematics
- Opportunities for paid undergraduate summer research with faculty members
- Paid and volunteer job opportunities through the Math Help Centre and Outreach program
Advanced students have the opportunity to be engaged in independent research under the supervision of a faculty member in their final year as part of an honours thesis.
NSERC USRA Summer 2023 - available projects and information on how to apply.
- Exam Review Information
- Math 4P06 and Stats 4T06 Permission Form
- Math 4W03, 4WW3 and Stats 4W03 Permission Form
- Math 5GT3 and Stats 5GT3 Permission Form
- Private Tutors
- Putnam Competition
- Math Review Manual
- Stewart Fund Award Winners
- Undergraduate Research Projects
- Undergraduate Research Opportunities
Acting Associate Chair
Dr Dmitry Pelinovsky ( Acting Associate Chair - Undergraduate)