Third McMaster & Co-operators Problem Solving Workshop
We are happy to announce the Third McMaster & Co-operators Problem Solving e-Workshop edition, jointly organized by the Department of Mathematics & Statistics at McMaster University (https://www.math.mcmaster.ca/) and The Co-operators General Insurance Company (https://www.cooperators.ca/).
The Workshop will take place online on Saturday, March 12th, 2022, and will gather representatives from industry, academic mathematicians, undergraduate and graduate students.
The main goal of this workshop is to provide the students with an experiential learning opportunity through a concrete real-world problem with real data, submitted by the insurance company. The participants will work individually or in study groups (up to 4 students) and will have the opportunity to learn and develop their interpersonal and technical skills (including data science, statistics, optimization, mathematical finance, programming, communication, etc.). This would also enable the industrial partner to connect with McMaster students. This workshop is also aimed to be an “incubator” of collaborations, that can lead to more long-term and impactful relationships between the participants and the industrial partner.
The two first editions of the Workshop resulted in many opportunities for the participants, such as job placement, job shadowing, job interviews, and presentations to The Co-operators managerial teams.
Moreover, The Co-operators is currently hiring and actively looking for new talents (co-op and permanent positions) to join their forces for the Actuarial and Business Intelligence teams.
Here is the link for registration: https://forms.office.com/r/gQ9kzUjkpC
The problem description, data, information sessions’ details and more instructions will be sent directly by email to participants upon registration.
Here are some important dates and deadlines:
• February 10th, 2022: Registration opens
• February 18th, 2022: Start of the qualification round
• March 1st, 2022: Registration ends
• March 6th, 2022: End of the qualification round
• March 7th, 2022: Announcement of the finalists (e-Workshop participants)
• March 12th, 2022 (Pi-day -2): A full day e-workshop
• April/May 2022: Announcement of the winners and the prizes for the participants (in-person celebration and networking event)
Here are some of the prizes offered to the participants:
• $2,000*(π -2) total for the top groups
• Invitation to present the results to The Co-operators managerial team
• Job Shadowing
• Speed interviews
• Door prizes, and more!