Guidelines for Prospective Graduate Students from Outside of Canada
For admission to the MSc program in Mathematics or Statistics:
- From CHINA: require a 4-year BSc degree, with an average over 4 years in the major subject of 85%.
- From INDIA, UK and other British systems: require an Upper 2nd class degree.
- IN GENERAL: A first-class degree or an average grade of 85% in every year of study will be the minimum requirement for admission.
Because we expect students to have completed a four-year Bachelor's degree, students coming from countries where the Bachelor's program is three years must complete a Master's degree in Mathematics or Statistics before entering the M.Sc. programme at McMaster.
All prospective Masters and PhD students whose first language is not English must satisfy one of the following:
- Score at least 92 on the iBT TOEFL
- Score at least 580 on the TOEFL
- Score at least 237 on the computerized TOEFL
- Score at least 6.5 on IELTS with a score of 5.5 in each section of the Academic Test
- Score at least 85 on the MELAB test
- Score at least 63 on PTE Academic
- Completion of York University course YUELI Level 6 with a final grade of at least B
- Completion of the University of Toronto course, Academic Level 60 with a final grade of at least B
- Show equivalent competence in English
- Graduate from a university where English is the language of instruction and this is clearly stated on your transcripts
This requirement is important, because report and theses writing is a core component of the M.Sc. program in the Department of Mathematics & Statistics. Students must be able to communicate effectively in written and spoken English to succeed.
Applicants are encouraged to use good English in all correspondence concerning their application and in any written material submitted with the application.